It’s a different kind of post today.
One thing I struggle with: opening up about myself on this blog.
…which is totally weird because I feel like in person I can’t stop talking. If you know me in real, non-internet world, you probably know my entire life story. I’m quite open with all my friends, because I like that in a person. Honesty is super important to me (though I would imagine it is to everyone?), and I totally value when people confide in me or share memories.
Annnnnyways, basically what I’m saying is that I want to open up to you guys, because I love you (yes, YOU) and I talk to you daily! So, here’s 28 random tidbits about me:
- 8 is my favorite number (hence why I chose 28 thingies).
- From the age of 7 to the age of 18, I thought I was going to be a marine biologist who studied sharks (um, but my life dream is still to open-water dive with a Great White Shark).
- Adding on to the previous point, I love the ocean and have my advanced SCUBA certification, along with a handful of specialties including wreck diving, equipment specialist, and more.
- I LOATHE raw celery. I can totally eat it cooked or pickled, but to me, raw celery has the foulest, most bitter taste in all the land! Also, I get really fired up about my hatred for celery.
- I have a minor (read: major) obsession with all things Kate Spade. She just really gets me, ya know?
- I like to pretend I don’t have a favorite color because I really do like all colors, but it’s totally pink and everyone knows it.
- In middle school I was beyond obsessed with the boy band O-Town and I cried at a bar mitzvah once because they cut off the end of one of their songs… I know.
- For the longest time I thought I hated raw carrots, but it turns out I just hate non-organic raw carrots. I am convinced I can taste the fertilizer on them and, as I’ve explained to my friends who totally think I’m crazy (I am), I believe I could pick out the fertilizer a non-organic carrot was grown in, given the chance.
- In high school, I was almost voted “Most Dramatic,” but I ran around the school dramatically begging everyone to NOT vote for me. Oh the irony.
- As a tiny child, my sister and I used to do fashion shows in the mall for a department store. I thought it was awesome because I got to keep a weird, frilly, denim outfit I “modeled”.
- I am the messiest person, ever. Anytime I eat—food everywhere. Anytime I bake—flour and sugar everywhere. Cook on the stove—oil splatters everywhere. You know the worst part? I actively try to be super clean, and I think it works against me somehow. Mikey laughs at me a lot about it.
- I use obnoxious baby voices to talk to animals… which pretty much just includes replacing “L” sounds with “Y,” and “R” sounds with “W.” This mean I call my dog, Rookie, Wookie…
- I am really strange about wanting detailed feedback on food I give to people. I send a lot of blog food to work with Mikey, and get irritated when the only comments he says people give are “good” or “yummy.” I’ve threatened to send him to work with comment cards.
- In the same vein, I’m super weird/obsessive about food and have a hard time coping with the fact that not everyone is as passionate about it as I am. Calm down, Rachael!
- Sometimes I get laugh attacks where I physically cannot breathe and tears stream down my face. It’s usually at something totally random and not all that funny, too.
- Every dog is a “puppy” to me. Small dogs, big dogs, young, and old… all of them.
- I have a full-on phobia of cockroaches, and I don’t even want to talk more about it.
- When I was super little, I used to throw crying fits while getting dressed if there were “stripes in my socks.” What are stripes in your socks? When the fabric folds over on itself a very slight amount. I was an acutely tactile child…
- I love to karaoke. I’m also terrible at singing.
- I love puns. I think they are the cleverest form of humor, and the more groan-inducinhg they are, the better!
- My first crush was on Jonathan Taylor Thomas (JTT, duh) and I drew a picture of us kissing in a “Tunnel of Love” in my diary.
- Sometimes, when I’m bored, I make mediocre lyric art. I have no idea why:
- When I was little, I always wished my name was Samantha, so that people could call me “Sam.” I really like my actual name now, haha.
- I also used to mix up the words “annoying” and “ignore,” and would call people “ignnoying.”
- I really hate sleep. It’s probably because I’m somewhat of an insomniac and falling asleep with any sort of quickness is near impossible for me. But seriously, I know Mikey thinks I sound like a broken record because almost every night I’m like “I hate that sleep is necessary for life. It’s such a waste of time.” Also, I seem to have all the best ideas and motivations while lying in bed in the middle of the night. How inconvenient…
- I truly, 100% believe that anyone can cook/bake. All it takes is practice and a little patience.
- I’m super outgoing among groups of people I know, but have a hard time socializing in a room full of strangers. It’s definitely something I would like to improve.
- This blog is my life. I think about it 24/7. I worry about it. I stress over it. I get joy from it. I love it. And I love you guys for reading it! Seriously. You are The Best.
Alrighty, well, now you probably know too much about me, and think I’m super weird. It’s okay, I kinda am.
Can you relate to any of these things? What are some of your weird quirks? Share with me, please!