Okay, I know. It sounds kinda strange…
But trust me! It totally works, you guys!
I mean, cheddar in apple pies is a thing, so why can’t we pair both with scrambled eggs, and stuff it all between toast? We can and we will.
You see, I’ve always been a little strange when it comes to eating breakfast sandwiches. I’m all about that savory-sweet combo. Almost anytime I eat eggs, I have to eat them on toast that is spread with both butter AND jelly or jam (preferably grape!). Don’t knock it ’til you try it, folks!
I’ve also been known to buy these, and spread them with jelly before consuming. Sausage + jelly just works. Just like when you dip your bacon or sausage in your pancake syrup.
This sandwich is one I’ve been making for yeeeearrrs. Recipes like these I have a hard time sharing, because I always wonder if I just have really peculiar tastebuds. I’m throwing caution to the wind, though, because this is one of my favorite breakfast concoctions, EVER, and there’s no reason many of you won’t love it as much as me.
There are two major keys to making this sandwich taste awesome.
- You have to use Granny Smith apples.
- You have to use sharp cheddar (extra sharp is even better, and white or orange will work!)
You just gotta. The tart apple with the aged cheese is a thing of beauty.
The chives are totally optional, though. They add a nice herby flavor, and I throw ’em in if I’ve got ’em, but if you don’t have them around, don’t worry about it!
This sandwich is super easy to make, and I can tell you from experience that it makes a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It’s an anytime kinda thing, haha (though, if you’re an egg obsessor like me, anytime is perfect for eggs).
I hope some of you will make this sandwich, and if you do, tell me if you’re as into the weird flavor combo as I am. I would beyond love it if you would snap a quick picture and show me on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram!
Yield: 1 sandwich
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp chopped chives (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 slices bread
- a few slices Granny Smith apple
- Heat a bit of butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat together the eggs, water, chives, salt and pepper.
- Toast your bread in your toaster, and spread one or both sides of each piece with some butter.
- Once the butter in the pan is foaming, pour in the eggs. Gently push the eggs around with a silicone spatula for a couple minutes. When they are starting to set up, but still rather liquid-y, add in the cheese. Stir to incorporate. When the eggs are cooked to your liking, and the cheese is melted, transfer the eggs to one piece of the toast. Top with a few slices of apple and the other piece of toast. Enjoy!