Ree from The Pioneer Woman and I seem to hold the same belief that a bit of heavy cream can go a long way in some dishes. As soon as I saw her risotto recipe I knew that I would have to make it.
It was creamy, and rich, and oh-so-satisfying. A small dollop of this stuff is PLENTY and the richness paired so nicely with the salad and fish I served along side it. Also, it should be mentioned that this risotto got quite a few compliments .
Creamy, Dreamy Risotto
adapted from here
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 very small sweet onion, diced
- 2 big cloves of garlic, minced
- 12 ounces Arborio rice
- 3 1/2 to 5 cups chicken stock (low sodium is best)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- chives to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the rice on top of the onion and garlic and stir to coat.
- Add in the chicken stock in 1/2 cup increments, stirring after each addition until the liquid is absorbed. Continue to repeat this step until the rice no longer has a hard bite to it.
- At this point you want to add the cream, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Stir in chives and sprinkle a bit on top. Serve!