Salty-sweet is my go-to flavor combination.
I truly cannot get enough. This dessert is the pinnacle of salty-sweet perfection. Pretzels + Chocolate + Caramel? Yes. Please.
What will you love about this dessert?
The combination of caramel with creamy milk chocolate.
The way the crème fraîche adds a refreshing acidity to the sweetness of the dish.
I made this dessert for a family Christmas dinner, and everyone was smitten with it.
The crust is so crisp that you can pretty much pick it up to eat it but it’s a bit messy thanks to the crème fraîche and caramel.
I use my very favorite Salted Vanilla Bean Caramel in this recipe, but feel free to substitute with a store-bought version if you’re running short on time.
Milk Chocolate and Pretzel Tart with Crème Fraîche and Salted Caramel
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 and 1/2 ounces thin pretzels, crushed
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 pound milk chocolate with almonds, chopped
- coarse salt
- crème fraîche
- crushed pretzels
- Salted Vanilla Bean Caramel
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, half of the pretzels, and the sugar; beat until creamy. Beat in the flour and egg. Add in the remaining pretzels. Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap up and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Roll out the dough (using extra flour, as needed) to at least 12 inches across. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of a square or round, fluted tart pan (10 inches). Freeze for at least 20 minutes, until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the tart shell with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Bake for 30 minutes, until nearly set. Remove the paper and weights and bake for 15 minutes longer, until firm and golden.
- Allow to cool and then brush the shell with the melted chocolate. Refrigerate until set.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer.
- Turn off the heat and add in the milk chocolate with almonds. Allow to star for 5 minutes, and then whisk until smooth. Allow the filling to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the filling into the shell. Refrigerate until set (at least 4hours). Sprinkle with salt, crushed pretzels, and serve with caramel and crème fraîche.
What is your favorite salty-sweet dessert?