I hope that everyone had a great Fourth of July! Mine was wonderful, spent with great food and great people :]! Our friends Helen and Kai invited us over to their home for a red, white, and blue celebration. Helen and her father are both amazing cooks, and totally spoiled us all with their creations. My contribution was this summery beverage that seemed pretty fitting for the occasion. Between the food/drinks, and the backyard firecrackers, everyone had a blast (heh heh)! Afterwards, a few of us continued on to a large party boat that gave us a front-row view of the fireworks being shot off over Lake Union. It truly was a day/night to remember!
I’m really excited to share this cocktail with you guys because I think that it’s a fun, seasonal drink that is as refreshing as it is tasty! Despite the fact that there is only half of a cucumber in the entire batch, it’s quite noticeable (in a good way!). It helps to balance out the sweetness of the watermelon, and compliments the cooling characteristics of the mint. The lime juice gives a bit of tartness, and the rum, well, that’s just the fun factor ;)! Of course, for the kiddies you could leave out the rum and just use more club soda.
Minty Watermelon-Cucumber Cooler
recipe adapted from here
makes enough for a fairly large party (10+)
- 1 cup torn, fresh mint
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 7 lbs seedless watermelon, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice
- White rum (I used Bacardi Superior)
- Club Soda
- In a smal sauce pan, combine the sugar and water over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add in the mint, turn of the heat, cover, and allow to steep for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Ina blender, blend the watermelon and cucumber until liquified (you’re going to have to do this in a few batches). Pour through a fine sieve, squeezing all of the liquid from the solids.
- In a large pitcher/bowl/beverage server, combine the strained watermelon-cucumber juice, lime juice, mint simple syrup, and as much rum and club soda as you desire over ice. Stir to combine and serve!