Spring is in the air! Out here in Seattle it’s warming up (or rather trying to), the cherry blossoms are blooming, daffodils are sprouting up everywhere you look, and and in the past couple of weeks I think I’ve seen the sun more times than not. I’m getting excited!
In honor of the approaching spring, I decided to make a great picnic-y sandwich that is even better when enjoyed out in the warm(ish) rays of the sun.
I’ve been holding onto the recipe for quite a while; ever since I saw it on Love and Olive Oil I knew it was a sandwich for me. I’m happy to report that I was oh-so-right. This sandwich is certainly unique, with a flavor combo that is out-of-this-world! I love the way the sweet-yet-spicy kick of the carrots blends with the tangy, creamy goat cheese. Then, you get this wonderful saltiness imparted by the olive tapenade that really just brings everything over-the-top!
So, go grab a blanket, spread it on the lawn outside, and whip up a few of these sandwiches to share with a few good friends in the nice weather… or at least open a window or something :).
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs carrots, sliced
- green olive tapenade
- soft goat cheese
- pumpernickel bread
- Whisk together the honey, lemon juice, spices, salt, and olive oil in a large bowl.
- Cook the carrot slices in a pot of boiling, salted water for approximately 45 seconds, until crisp-tender. Drain well and then immediately toss with the dressing. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, then cover and pop in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours.
- To assemble the sandwich(es), spread one slice of bread with tapenade, and smear the other slice with some goat cheese. Layer the carrot slices onto the goat cheese and put the two slices together. Enjoy! Simple. Easy. Delicious.