I love carbs.
I need giant plates of pasta with sides of warm bread like this in my life on the reg. Honestly, carbs are the one food group I just could never live without. Trust me…I’ve tried… I’ve done the low-carb thing before. You know, the kind where you get to have like half a slice of bread for the whole day? No. Just no. I got grumpy as hell. Cutting out starches takes my hangry (hungry + angry, duh) levels to new heights.
Soon yeah…not getting rid of pasta in my life, ever.
Oh and yeah…more shrimp. You know what’s strange? I used to be SUPER picky about shrimp. Like…I would never eat it unless it was from a super nice restaurant where I knew they cleaned it thoroughly and didn’t overcook it. There’s just something about the texture of overcooked shrimp and lobster that I find insanely unappealing. But for some reason, the past few months, I’ve been eating lots of shrimp. It’s weird. Same thing happened withs salmon, actually…I used to think salmon was too “fishy” in most instances, now I’m obsessed. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, lol.
Anyway, this pasta…
It’s so super good, you guys! And it’s crazy easy, and pretty damn fast to make, and requires only a few ingredients.
I used a spinach tagliatelle in this (delicious!), which is why it’s a bit green tinted, but you could really use any pasta—fettuccini, linguini, spaghetti—whatever you have! The sauce has a simple crushed tomato base. I used a variety that also had some basil thrown into it for added flavor, but you can use plain, too. Oh also, I’m obsessed with roasted garlic olive oil. I usually use it in place of regular olive oil in almost every application, but it just adds so much oomph to a dish, but of course you can use regular!
If you wanted, you could also leave the shrimp off this this, and it would be totally vegan—up to you 🙂
Oh also, this makes amazing second day leftovers. I don’t know how…but I swear it tasted even better the second day…
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp roasted garlic olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes + 1/2 can of water (I used a variety that includes basil as well)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 8oz. pasta (I used spinach tagliatelle nests)
- roughly 1lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined (I used frozen that I ran under cool water until thawed)
- 2 to 3 tbsp fresh parsley + more to garnish
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and a big pinch of salt and sauce for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and stir for one minute. Add in the tomatoes, water, and oregano, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook your pasta according to the package directions; drain.
- Add your shrimp and parsley to your tomato sauce, and cook for 4-5 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through. Add in the pasta and toss to coat. Serve with more parsley to garnish.