Can Mondays be happy? Maybe if you pack this for lunch 😀
I made you a healthy version of chicken salad! There’s no mayo in sight, but there *is* a ton of flavor. It’s amazing over greens, like I’ve served it here, but it also makes an awesome sandwich, and it’s fantastic served with crackers for dipping!
But isn’t this kind of gorgeous? It’s almost like a flower.
So this chicken salad not only has homemade curry powder in it, but a also a secret ingredient that gives it a huge amount of flavor—Major Grey’s chutney. It’s the same stuff I use in this panini, and it’s super delicious. It’s a mango chutney that also has raisins, onion, vinegar, and spices in it—it’s complex and addictive, and it plays really, really well with curry powder!
The “creamy” ingredient in this chicken salad is non-fat Greek yogurt. It’s tang is softened by the sweet chutney, and it’s super high in protein and low in calories! I also added in some fresh basil and chives, for freshness and vibrancy. Oh, and the toasted almonds are totally mandatory! They add a great crunch, and a little bit of fat to a otherwise crazy low-fat dish.
The resulting chicken salad is sweet, spicy, and a little tangy.
I really love serving this chicken salad over arugula that has been tossed in some olive oil, because a) I’m totally addicted to arugula, and b) it’s so easy. Plus then you can dress it up with perfectly ripe strawberries and it looks all pretty. BUT I have a sneaking suspicion that it would make the best melt ever if you piled it on some toasted bread and melted brie cheese over the top!
I like to poach my chicken for this chicken salad, just because it’s quick and healthy, but if you’re super short on time, you could just use the meat from a rotisserie chicken without the skin!
Yield: 4 servings
- 10 to 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 heaping tbsp Major Grey's mango chutney
- 1 to 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 to 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 heaping tbsp curry powder (homemade is best!)
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 oz. sliced almonds, toasted
- salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
to poach the chicken:
- Place the chicken in a large sauce pan, and just cover with cool water, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Shred chicken breasts with two forks.
to make the salad:
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, chutney, basil chives, and curry powder. Add in the chicken and toss to coat. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with the almonds.
*The flavors will develop a bit more if you leave it in the fridge for a couple hours!
**If you want to serve it like I have, toss some arugula in a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place the chicken salad on top, and arrange some sliced strawberries around the outside.
P.S. — The “Print” button on my recipes finally works again!!! Whoo-hoo!!!