I know the title alone has already sold you, but let me at least pretend to further convince you :D.
This ice cream is certainly not your typical ice cream- unlike the countless ice creams I have made before, this one is not a custard, as in it contains no eggs. What it does have is marshmallows melted right into the actual ice cream itself ( I know, crazy right?). Annnd, there’s no sugar; the marshmallows pack enough sugar in on their own not to warrant any extra.
It’s a pretty unbelievable concoction. You’l be super weirded out by the consistency before it firms up in the freezer- DON’T WORRY, magic will happen, I promise ;)!
The end product is a wonderful, creamy, marshmallow-flavored base with graham cracker swirls and crunchy chocolate pieces- a frozen s’more! It’s certainly a real treat for those hot summer days when the traditional warm s’more just won’t cut it. (Can you tell I’m totally obsessed with summer lately? Gah, I’m so excited! If only this dreary Seattle-weather would clear up for more than a day!)
- 1 package marshmallows (I used the big, Jet-Puffed variety)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 milk chocolate bars, chopped (I used one Ghirardelli bar and one Hershey’s with Almonds bar)
- 5-6 graham crackers, broken into pieces
- In a large saucepan, heat together the marshmallows, milk, and cream over medium heat until the marshmallows are melted and combined with the milk/cream. The mixture will increase in size due to the expanding marshmallows. Remove from heat and allow to cool for only a minute so it doesn’t get too sticky.
- Transfer to your ice cream maker and churn for 30-40 minutes (yes the mixture will be piping hot when your pour it in). In the last couple of minutes, add in the chocolate pieces. Stir in the graham cracker pieces by hand.
- Freeze for 4-6 hours ( I found any less produced an odd, gelatinous consistency) and serve!