This is Part Three of my Tapas Date Night Menu, and I think it just might be the most interesting. You’re probably thinking, “Watermelon and chorizo?” Yes my friends, watermelon and chorizo indeed.
This appetizer is like a roller-coaster for your taste buds- spicy chorizo, sweet and fresh watermelon, crunchy bread- this is a dish you simply MUST try!
I’ve never been the biggest fan of sausage (weird I know), but when I saw that this recipe contained sausage with watermelon, I knew this was a recipe that I couldn’t pass up.
These tostadas were amazing (and Mikey’s favorite dish of the evening). They are a bit messy though, so I suggest you have a fork handy.
- 2 hot chorizo sausages, sliced
- 3 medium-sized heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 cups chopped watermelon
- crusty, rustic bread, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove
- extra virgin olive oil
- baby arugula
- about 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Heat a medium-sized sauté pan over high heat. Add in the chorizo (no added oil) and cook for a few minutes. Add in the tomatoes and cook for just a minute.
- Add the chorizo/tomato mixture to a large bowl with the watermelon. Toss well together.
- Toast the bread slices and while they are still warm, rub each with the garlic clove. Drizzle each slice with a bit of the olive oil.
- Top each piece of toast with a few leaves of arugula. Spoon on the chorizo/watermelon mixture, and then top again with more arugula leaves.
- Add the sherry vinegar to the hot pan that you cooked the chorizo in and stir it around to deglaze the pan. Pour the vinegar over the tostadas. Serve!