It’s kind of been a really long time since I’ve made baked goods for the blog!
Honestly, just checked, and had to go back three pages to find these delicious delights—coincidentally, another banana-y recipe. I guess I’ve been too busy making savory stuff, you know, like an entire Ethiopian Feast…
So listen, I know the title says the best “vegan” banana bread, but it’s really just the best banana bread—vegan or not. I cannot even tell you how moist and tender it is, and it’s perfectly simple.
I’ve made other banana breads on the blog before, but they always had a little quirk or extra somethin’ somethin’ (like this Coconut-Walnut Banana Bread, or this Curry Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread), and I was missing that beautifully simplistic, go-to recipe. Guys, this is it! It’s amazing, and also happens to be vegan!
As always, the major key to the best banana bread is super ripe bananas. This is not the time to be using those slightly still green bananas, or the ones that have only just started to speckle. I use almost totally black bananas to bake with. Apparently, a lot of people find this weird or gross, but I’m telling you, it makes all the difference. The other key in this recipe is coconut oil. It’s a healthy fat that provides so much moisture! (Uh, and not only moisture to the banana bread… I slather any that gets on my hands while I’m baking or cooking with it all over my skin, LOL. It’s a excellent moisturizer!)
Last ingredient I want to mention is the “Baking Spice.” This is something that one of my friends gave me as a gift, and the stuff is super delicious! I’m not sure if this is something that other companies produce, but the one I have can be found here. But don’t fret if you can’t find any, or don’t want to ship yourself some. It’s simply a mixture of cinnamon, cardamom, anise, nutmeg, and allspice. As long as you use some or all of those prices in your banana bread, you’re golden!
You also may be thinking this banana bread has a lot of sugar, and well…it does. I don’t know what to tell you there 😛 It’s a sweet and tasty banana bread that makes a killer dessert when it’s toasted or griddled and served with a nice heaping scoop of coconut ice cream.
Yield: 1 9"x5" loaf
- 3 large, very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp “baking spice” (This is a blend of cinnamon, allspice, cardamom, nutmeg, and anise---feel free to use any combination of those if you don't have the pre-made mixture)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I use an almond and cashew milk blend)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5x3″ loaf pan with nonstick spray, line the pan with parchment paper, and grease the paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking spice.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix together the sugar, bananas, and oil until smooth. Add in the milk and vanilla, and mix until combined. Add in the flour mixture, and mix on low until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 55-65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to cool further.