Coconut is one of my very favorite foods, and I am entirely boggled as to how some people so detest it. Not only is it delicious, but it is rich in fiber and healthy fats!
I am a huge fan of macaroons, and when I saw these over at Oh She Glows
, I was immediately drawn to them. While I knew I would like them since I absolutely LOVE all things coconut, I did not expect them to completely blow me away as they have done.
These macaroons are AMAZING! They are dense and chewy and absolutely addictive. The outside is perfectly crisp, and even after cooling, the inside is gooey and rich. The whole vanilla bean really pumps up the flavor and raises them above any macaroons you have tasted before. As Mikey bit into one, I heard an “Oh WOW!” Seconds later he was grabbing another :).
Also, these babies are completely vegan and relatively healthy when eaten in moderation- something that is almost entirely impossible ;).
Vanilla Bean Macaroons
recipe slightly adapted from here
makes 20-24 macaroons
- 2 2/3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut (to make the coconut butter OR 1 cup store-bought coconut butter)
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut (I used reduced fat here and regular in the coconut butter)
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line baking sheets with a silicone mat or parchment paper; set aside.
- To make the coconut butter: Add the 2 2/3 cups shredded coconut to the bowl of a food processor and process for 8-12 minutes until creamy, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Combine all of the ingredients (including coconut butter) in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat to combine.
- Scoop 1-2 tablespoon-sized mounds onto the baking sheet (they won’t spread so you can place them fairly close to one another).
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden. Let cool on baking sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring to a plate or rack to cool further.
You Might Also Enjoy: