The dreary Seattle weather is back 🙁
It’s all rainy and cold, and I totally dread when I have to take Rook out for walks. Somehow, despite my raincoat and galoshes, I still end up freezing and damp. It might be because I’m in full Spring mode. You see, the second it officially becomes Spring (or actually the same applies to any season), I dress as if it is that season… So under that raincoat and those galoshes maayyyy have been a backless, floor-length sundress, with slits up the side of my legs…
Smart apparel, Rachael! You show that incessant drizzle and 50 degree temperatures who’s boss. Surely the weather will brighten up to fit your desires…
On top of dressing like it’s Spring, I also fully commit to cooking like it’s Spring!
Doesn’t this just seem like a “Spring-y dish”? Pretty pastel pinks, and greens, and yellows.
This is a cute and fancy-looking salad you could serve as a first course at a dinner party! It’s also make a nice accompaniment to a sandwich of some sort. It’s light and refreshing, but it still has some nice fattiness from the creamy avocado and buttery pistachio oil. And yes, there is more arugula. I told you guys I’m obsessed! It’s the only green I can snack on totally plain. I love it’s zippy bite!
By the way, pistachio oil is one of my favorite ingredients, because it is so damn flavorful! It can be a little pricey, but you don’t need a lot, and I promise the flavor is worth it. If you’re wondering what else to use it in, you can try these other recipes I’ve made here, here, or here!
I also used some black lava salt to finish this dish, because I like the contrast of the black on the light Spring colors, but if you don’t have any, don’t sweat it! Just use any flakey sea salt.
Yield: 1 serving (easy to repeat for more servings)
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1 tsp pistachio oil (this has a TON of flavor, but if you don't have it, you can just use a good, fruity olive oil)
- 2 or 3 (1/4") slices of pink grapefruit, seeds and skin removed
- 1/2 small avocado, sliced
- ~10 roasted and salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- black lava salt (or any kind of finishing salt---this one just looks pretty!)
- Place the arugula onto a small plate. Lay the grapefruit slices over top, and then the avocado. Drizzle the pistachio oil over the top, and sprinkle with the chopped pistachios. Finish with the black lava salt.
*You could also toss the arugula with the pistachio oil instead of drizzling it over the top of everything.