I have to admit something. I’ve been bad. I have been cooking and baking even more than usual, and then promptly gobbling up my work before snapping pictures for the blog. It’s not even that I forget; I have been consciously making this decision. It’s not that I don’t want to share the recipes, believe me, I do! It’s just that between the new pup (quick, look at this hilarious picture of Rook!)…
…Mikey’s new job, and the ridiculous amount of DIY projects we have taken on recently, including, but not limited to: our new garden which is only 1/3 done, but holy cow we freakin’ built that (with the irreplaceable help of our friend, Helen)…
(…by the way, my herb garden is flourishing…)
…this bed I made for Rookie (DIY instructions here)…
…Mikey’s replica of the Thomas Daft Punk helmet…
and various other things, stopping to take pictures before eating food always feels less than ideal. That being said, I’m throwing my excuses out the window and am now making a much stronger effort!
Luckily, I do have photos of these incredibly tasty sweet potatoes. I love sweet potatoes, but I think that myself and others often associate them with fall, comfort dishes (like my Goat Cheese-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes or my Vegan Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup). This side dish is great because it is a perfect accompaniment to any summer grill-out menu! This dish almost had a tropical feel to me. I served these with my Grilled Salmon with Lime Butter Sauce (and a grilled corn and tomato bruschetta that I will be sharing in the future), and I really enjoyed how the lime in each of the sauces complimented one another. But, I think it would be awesome served with some coconut shrimp and a side of watermelon.
What’s nice is that you can boil and peel the potatoes a day ahead of time and just pop them in the fridge so that when you’re ready to eat, all you have to do it grill them for a few minutes and stir together the vinaigrette!
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette
recipe adapted from here
- 1 1/2-2lbs sweet potatoes (3-4 long)
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 25-30minutes, until the center is slightly resistant when pierced with a sharp knife. Transfer to a large bowl of cold water to stop the cooking.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes using a sharp knife. Cut into quarters, lengthwise.
- Turn on grill and lightly oil racks.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the zest and juice of the lime with salt and pepper. Whisk in the oil in a slow stream. Stir in the cilantro.
- Grill potatoes until tender, turning on all sides, about 4-6 minutes total. Serve at room temperature topped with vinaigrette.