(Giveaway information at bottom of post)
Apparently, I’m going a tad soup-crazy lately. I think it’s my body’s natural reaction to hoping it was warmer outside… warming the inside instead! I will say though, the past few days it has been beautiful and sunny out. On Saturday, it was supposed to rain all day, so you can imagine my delight when the clouds parted at around 4:30 and the sun came out. I immediately jumped off the couch and told Mikey we simply MUST go outside. We proceeded to take an 8-mile walk around Greenlake and to Whole Foods. It was lovely :] Yesterday, it even reached 62 degrees!! (This is big news for us up here, folks.) Anyways, until it’s in the 70’s and the sun is here to stay for a while, I will continue to make my soups (yes, I have more planned, haha)!
I guess that along with my soup obsession, I must have a serious hankering for African-esque cuisine. Both this soup, and the Tomato Soup I made last week, have African spices in them. By the way, these two soups are awesome swirled together with a dollop of creme fraiche on top:
Additionally, I have about 15 windows open in Safari, right now, that are full of Ethiopian recipes for an Ethiopian feast I have out-of-the-blue decided I NEED to throw. I don’t know what my deal is.
Error. Page cannot be displayed. Please contact your service provider for more details. (19)I found the original recipe on the blog Healthy Seasonal Recipes, which states that the soup was actually inspired by combining some of George Washington’s favorite foods! I think that’s really awesome! I certainly believe this recipe was a great success. My version is very similar to the original, except that I’ve added a bit more of certain ingredients, added some warm, African spices that I thought simply must be included, and I’ve slightly changed the cooking process.
Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup (Vegan)
Yield: 12-15 cups
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 and 1/2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 6-7 cups vegetable broth
- 2lbs yams/sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 to 2-inch chunks
- 1 13.5-ounce can "lite" coconut milk
- 3/4 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts
- juice of 2 limes
- to garnish: chopped cilantro, roasted and salted peanuts, sriracha
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, garlic, celery, and a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring often for about 5 minutes. Add in the spices, and cook for another minutes or so.
- Add the potato and broth to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are fall-apart tender.
- Add the peanuts and coconut milk to the soup. Using a hand blender, puree the soup until it is creamy and uniform in texture. Stir in the lime juice.
- Serve the soup garnished with a tablespoon or two of roasted and salted peanuts, some chopped cilantro, and a few squirts of sriracha.
recipe adapted from here
***By the way, I will be doing a DOUBLE Giveaway on Thursday! It will involve a Facebook giveaway, like last time, and an additional giveaway in the comments for those that don’t have Facebook! Stay tuned!***